Labor of love here, with some snow days preventing the boys from even getting here for club night the last month I found some extra time to finish this up to about 95%. There are some paint issues I want to address and I still need to build the hangar door, but I haven't figured out "what I am going to do for the door itself...the frame is figured out..pieces are cast..just need to think about it awhile and maybe play on it some. I stopped keeping track of time but I started with nothing on Jan 8th, figure 5 weeks and on man hours?...I'd say 80ish hours including casting.
Hirst Molds used
#301, 302, 303,
#270 (X2) #271, #272, #273
I own 270, 271 and 303, the rest I borrowed from Rich, except for #272 which I was from another friend, it was imperative to have 2 molds of # 270 in order to decrease the casting time because there are a ton of floor tiles used here, and if you read my previous entry I wasted a couple hundred tiles trying to make one gigantic floor piece.
I broke open a brand new 50Lbs box of Merlins Magic for this ($68 shipped), I have exactly two pounds left. So if we want to figure real cost figure most of the box of plaster, plus the 3 molds I bought ($100 shipped) plus $12 or so for the 2 big pieces of foam core..and basic colors come from 2 quarts of house paint I bought at Home Depot, and I used almost a whole bottle of glue. Figure just about $200 on the nose real cost, Of course I'm not figuring in other paints, but I was really using old paints ready for the garbage anyway. ( also if you bought all the molds I used here it would run you about roughly $250 for the 8 molds.
all the Props are from Hirst Molds with the exception of the Lab Equipment (cobblestone castings) the small rectangle crates which are from my 15mm scenery and are by GZG and the Vehicle under the control room in the hanger, is a stripped down Star Wars vehicle from WotC.
I bought a couple of for 2 bucks each and plan on raiding my friends IG bitz boxes.putting some treads on them and making them cool futuristic work vehicles.
I put my "red planet" 4 x 4 in the back ground for looks, it worked.
Next up is talking about playing some Skirmish on this, I've been working on my own Sci-Fi Skirmish ruleset for awhile now, it works in both 15 and 28mm (same rules) its either one inch equals 10 feet at 15mm and 5' at 28mm. I've noticed tons of people are putting out simple house rulesets lately, I've made it point not to look at anyone them, just so I can see where mine falls in. While I am sure there some overlap with basic concepts..I'm pretty confident my dice mechanic is unique..whether that's good or bad remains to be seen.
Figures here are by Reaper but I got a bunch of other figures for skirmish from a variety of companies, not one of which is Games Workshop..so unless I throw the handful of Genestealers I have down for some Space Hulk style fun, don't expect too much GW in my Sci Fi.. accept for other people playing some games with me.
There still some paint touch up to do, nothing major, I have painted all the pipes in the base red yet and that "Mint Green" glow I did in the emergency power room is irking me, I need to tweak that a bit, still figuring out the "how" there.
I left several areas as transition points so I can easily add on to this in the future, I plan on adding a couple rooms down the road. After I wrap up the next few projects.
A bit over the top with rust powder in a few spots..nothing a light black wash wont tone done.
In the end, a really fun project...I feel my "hirst" chops are very good at this point and I am already looking forward to next one, After two big setups the intimidation factor is gone and I say bring it on!.LOL. but I got a ton of figures to do, an event to run and get ready for, and a bunch of gaming to do first.
Crystal Brush Winners Announced
7 hours ago