Monday, March 27, 2017

Blackbarrow Castle


Just recently I finished the main construction and painting of my Hirst Arts Castle, which I call Blackbarrow Castle. It was long time in the making- the taller, thinner tower ( I call the lighthouse) and the Gate House were built and completed in 2014 for Adepticon that Spring and used on my Legends of the High Seas table for that event. The large tower was complete last fall and the remaining wall sections where finished in the last few months. There is still quite a bit of work to do before I call it "finished" and it sits at the head of Fantasy table overlooking the Village of Blackbarrow.  I still have interior details galore and its inhabitants to paint. as well as redoing the entire base.
The base itself and road to gate will be totally redone with proper foliage as well.

I just ordered some carving plaster and other goodies from Woodland Scenics to get the base looking like a real rock formation as opposed to some carved foam board., currently the floor in the tower are temporary until I can finish them properly and You can see the one, wooden interior building, (a soldiers barracks) will probably have a stable across from it.and perhaps a gallows in the courtyard.




Not really sure how much time and or plaster I used on this as I mentioned it was a long road, I know which molds I used thou the entire projects used molds..70,71,72,75,78,701,260,261,224,225 and 58, the last 3 just being the wooden courtyard building, the bulk casting being the tower molds, the wall slab and basic block molds for the Gatehouse.  I hope to get the base finished up and and remaining details complete in the next month, as I like the whole table done for this summer.  I will leave things here with the rest of the photos, there is a gallery on the left, but its currently the same photos you see here.


















9 comments:

Phil said...

Realistic and amazing castle, details are superb....

Service Ration Distribution (Hobby) said...

Very nice castle. I like the mixture of old square and new round towers. Do you think you may have a keep? It would be even bigger if you had a curtain wall but then space becomes a problem with such a large scale, ie 28mm, project. The stonework is very good too. Will you roof the towers? On a cliff will be spectacular. Well done.

Robert said...

Wow! That looks great! I always wanted to do a project using their molds but the time and expense really killed those ideas quick. I might have to take another look, very inspirational!

Hendrid said...

Looking great, you have my sympathy over the time its taken to cast all those blocks. A task and a half, but worth it.

Mallius Vane said...

Wow! Looks great!

Joe B said...

Wow John, that is a ton of plaster! It looks fantastic though and would be a ton of fun to play on. Congrats on getting it finished.

Chicago Terrain Factory said...

Nice project John. I'll have to check out the whole village some day.

CK aka Kronos said...

Wow! Amazing work, it looks really, really good! The hours and hours of work you put into this project are already paying off. This is outstanding! I can't wait to see it finished. :)

Weekend General said...

That is bloody amazing! Wow!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online